US President Trump is notorious for many things and one of them is his stand (at one point, at least) that the Global Warming phenomenon is a myth. Whatever gave him the idea? We do not know; but I have my own reasons.
Many world leaders and scientists have declared and defended Global Warming as a fact and an accepted truth, if not a law. But is it real or a myth? Those who oppose the idea are the modern heretics. And so, here is my heresy, if anyone cares to read.
Is Global Warming human-induced? Apparently not. Consider the following evidences that have been rejected by many scientists, world leaders and the public-at-large:
- The idea that commercial and industrial pollution is responsible for global warming is not supported by historical fact. The period known as the Holocene Maximum is a good example — so-named because it was the hottest period in human history. This period occurred approximately 7,500 to 4,000 years ago — long before humans invented industrial pollution.
- CO2 in our atmosphere has been increasing steadily for the past several millennia, even before humans invented machines. Humans had nothing to do with that pre-industrial increase.
- Total human contributions to greenhouse gases account for only about 0.28% of the “greenhouse effect”. Industrial carbon dioxide (CO2) comprises about 0.117% of this total, and human sources of other gases (methane, nitrous oxide, etc.) contribute another 0.163%.
- Measurements show that variations in solar activity are generally proportional to both variations in atmospheric CO2 and atmospheric temperature. Hence, rising Earth temperatures and increasing CO2 may be “effects” and our own Sun the “cause”.1
Consider also these few facts about CO2:
- Of the 186 billion tons of CO2 that enter Earth’s atmosphere each year from all sources, only 6 billion tons are from human activity. Approximately 90 billion tons come from biologic activity in earth’s oceans and another 90 billion tons from such sources as volcanoes and decaying land plants.
- At 368 parts per million CO2 is a minor constituent of earth’s atmosphere — less than 4/100ths of 1% of all gases present. Compared to former geologic times, earth’s current atmosphere is CO2-impoverished.
- CO2 is odorless, colorless, and tasteless. Plants absorb CO2 and emit oxygen as a waste product. Humans and animals breathe oxygen and emit CO2 as a waste product. Carbon dioxide is a nutrient, not a pollutant, and all life — plants and animals alike — benefit from more of it. All life on earth is carbon-based and CO2 is an essential ingredient. When plant-growers want to stimulate plant growth, they introduce more carbon dioxide.
- CO2 that goes into the atmosphere does not stay there but is continually recycled by terrestrial plant life and earth’s oceans — the great retirement home for much of terrestrial carbon dioxide.2
Global warming is not as simple as adding so-called green-house gases into the atmosphere. It is a very complex process even scientist, armed with all the data and high-tech equipment, have not fully deciphered. Those who make confident conclusions, therefore, (including this writer) are making empirically-based guesses, at best, or wild claims, at worst. For to be clear about it, here are just some of the factors that contribute, one way or another, in raising or lowering temperatures, namely:
- Aerosols – tiny particles in the atmosphere such as volcanic particles, industrial dust emissions, sulfur dioxide from volcanic eruptions and burning fossil fuels as well as black carbon from automobiles and cooking fires, either reflect solar energy or absorb it, thus, aggravating or assuaging global warming. For instance, the eruption of Mt. Pinatubo resulted in a half-degree Centigrade cooling as the dust reflected back much of the sunlight into outer space. The overall effect of such natural and human-made “pollutants” still has to be unraveled.
- The Biosphere (plants, animals and humans) may also abet or retard global warming. For instance, vegetation, compared to barren soil, reflects less heat, thus, aiding global warming. Depending on the ratio of the total area covered with vegetation to the area of barren land, the global temperature will swing accordingly. Excessive denudation of forests will obviously add to global warming.
- A 2005 report indicated that “rising temperatures would cause soils in general to decompose organic matter faster, releasing extra CO2 and accelerating warming.”3 (If atmospheric CO2 is indeed increasing, then that should be cause for joy and not fear. Why? It means there is plenty of CO2 for plants to use. NOW is the best time to plant! And yet cities and towns leave so many idle lands untilled.)
- And the latest news from NASA has this to say: Satellite data prove that Water Vapor is a “critical component of climate change.” In fact, the study goes beyond that and confirms “that what was predicted by the models is really happening in the atmosphere . . . that water vapor is the big player (highlighting provided) in the atmosphere as far as climate is concerned.”4 Water was the “biggest player” in climate change during Noah’s time; it should not then be surprising if water vapor has a major part in what is happening today.5
Many see Global Warning primarily as a political or economic matter. Others will make it a purely scientific issue. It is all of these, of course. More to the point: It is a personal issue. That is because when the weather is unpleasant, we either blame the Sun, rain, storm or the cold. When we experience an earthquake, we can blame the existence of faults in the Earth’s crust. And when we suffer volcanic eruptions, we can blame magma coming out of the depths in anger. In a way, we can blame the whole of Nature for being what she is and what she does to each one of us.
But does Nature also take it personally in return when we abuse or neglect her? Maybe not. But her Maker may. Whatever we may have done or failed to do to the gifts of Heaven, their Giver has all the right to rebuke and discipline us. The main problem is that we have failed to understand the message of Nature, which merely speaks for her Master and Creator. The messenger cannot proclaim a message different from that of the Source. We are clearly shooting the messenger.
Blaming the increasing rise of temperature (Nature’s ways in the past more than four millennia, at least) to industrialization (human ways in the past less than two hundred years) is definitely stretching things out of proportion. It is like attributing a volcano’s eruption to the explosion of a stick of dynamite on its crater.
Yes, we have not been that caring to the environment and to one another. But there are things that should be accepted as beyond the gamut of human influence. In general, therefore, Global Warming, like cyclones, earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, is a phenomenon that we have nothing to do with, as we have shown. That is, if there is really such a thing as Global Warming. Even on that issue, scientists could not agree.
The science behind Global Warning is a sort of an Aristotelian myopia for missing the real causes of the phenomenon. It is like saying an apple falls because it is in the nature of an apple to fall, just as it is the nature of fire to rise. And so, many believe that the global temperature is rising because it is in the nature of the Earth’s atmosphere to trap the heat of the Sun. That the more carbon dioxide we release into the atmosphere, the more we allow the Sun’s heat to remain in the atmosphere. Proofs of this phenomenon are supposedly the melting of the ice caps and glaciers, increase of the frequency and strength of cyclones, cyclical El Niño and La Niña weather pattern and other acclaimed weather patterns related to the temperature increase.
But what if the heat is coming from the interior of the Earth, instead of from outer space? We all know where magma comes from. And we love to claim that the Earth has a molten iron core. We have also seen that others sources of the increase prove to be more in keeping with Nature’s geological history and not to the more recent human activities we attribute Global Warming to, no matter how prevalent or widespread. It is close to human arrogance, therefore, to claim that we have any great contribution to this present rise of temperature, considering things were worse in the distant past long before great human civilizations arose.
Consider the ten plagues of Egypt. To the Egyptians it was a progressive disappearance of their livelihood, their way of life and their pride as a powerful nation, brought about by natural as well as supernatural events, many of which many nations have also suffered and continue to suffer from – locust attacks, widespread epidemics, biological overpopulation and red tides. The later kind of plagues (lingering darkness and death of the firstborn sons) is harder to explain scientifically. And that is where we fail to realize the true source or cause of this so-called phenomenon of a global environmental decay, one that we have so far rejected as a valid reason. That is, the Global Warming Myth is, by-and-large, a symbol of the self-importance leaders of nations have put upon their deeds (or in this case. misdeeds) in relation to the great, mysterious or undetermined truths that the Universe still hides beyond our capacity to comprehend or to unravel by our puny minds.
We have rejected the testimonies of the people whom God used to reveal the real source of all things – meaning, water, light, earth, forces, celestial bodies and life. Science helps us to know what we can see or observe. But faith helps us to see beyond what we see and even know. Cataclysms, disasters and natural catastrophes are God’s ways of showing us He is still at work, leading us out of our enslavement to wrong notions of life. They allow us to go through difficulties without fear or doubt, so long as we remain steadfast in the hope that beyond the wilderness lies a promised land of milk and honey.
In general, people who do not believe the Great Flood ever happened also tend to reject the idea that the ongoing environmental disruptions are “global warnings” to remind us that Creation will not be destroyed again by water. That is the message of the rainbow – a covenant between God and humans. But that promise hides a warning that all things will be melted in fervent heat. Yes, Creation is reserved for destruction by heat – not even warming. We could be merely going into the beginning phase of the final end and whatever warming there might be is induced by Nature itself. Not because of any particular thing of our own doing but because of what we are doing. Or, more precisely, what we are not doing.
We should remove the pride that we have the capacity to destroy ourselves or one another. No, of course not! God will never allow humans to have the ability or power to annihilate what He brought about. At one time, He destroyed life but left eight souls to preserve human and animal life. From those few livings beings, He rebuilt the Earth and renewed life on Earth. Will He allow humans – or Satan — to have the privilege of destroying all life without God doing nothing about it?
In spite of our rebellious and unfaithfulness to God’s reign, He will not give humans the dishonor (which is honor for Satan) of destroying life on Earth. For the sake of His people, God will never allow that. Not in forty or fifty years or so when – and if — the 2o C rise in global temperature would have been breached and the Earth is said to become unlivable. Not in a hundred years or more when Earth, as predicted by some, would be hit by a giant asteroid, destroying all life in it.
Certainly, there are more than eight righteous souls remaining on this planet. Building an Ark will not work this time. Not even many spaceships to bring those people to a Promised Planet. But, yes, the plan is to build a holy city in the sky where the righteous will live. Unfortunately, we will not need any means of conveyance.
All it takes is faith in God. Not in science. For as we have seen, science is not as sound or as reliable as it has been presumed to be by many. For while many scientists claim that science proves Global Warming is real, others claim that the argument is not valid. Which is the final truth?
There is another way of looking at Global Warming: As a preparation for Universal Melting (forget the melting ice caps). God spoke everything into existence. He can also speak it into destruction so He can build a better place for His people where they can live for eternity. Perhaps, we are being distracted as usual by the Great Deceiver and, thus, fail to differentiate between the important truths from all the many lies he scatters around us.
Additional Readings on Global Warming as a Myth:
1Monte Hieb and Harrison Hieb. Graphs showing data of the above claims are available at their website.
3Spencer Weart, “Biosphere: How Life Alters Climate,” Discovery of Global Warming
4”Water Vapor Confirmed as Major Player in Climate”. From www.nasa.com
5Ragay, Vincent, Noah’s Ark and the Earth Rebuilt (DragonFlower Publications, Luzon, 2009), pp. 195-196.